There is a lot of difference between Asp and Asp.net. First of all, asp is not an object oriented language which means it makes use of top down programming approach in which code execution starts from the top and move downwards.
Interpretation versus compilation
ASP is an interpreted language and ASP.net is a compiled language. In interpreted languages, the text of the web page is parsed linearly. The server side script in a web page is run through interpreter and the result is rendered back to the response. This type of architecture has several disadvantages, important ones are discussed below:
- It affects efficiency of a web page in different aspects.
- Response time is very slow.
- Interpreter needs to invoke again and again to execute a single block.
There are countless benefits associated with using asp.net as a programming language for developing an array of applications.
- ASP.net has a wide library and controls that help in creating web pages conveniently and quickly.
- Error handling is also better in asp.net when compared to asp as it makes use of try and catch blocks for handling different types of errors.
- The configuration settings of ASP.net are stored in XML files which are available in human readable form.